Since I've been natural I've gotten my hair straightened a total of 3 times. It's not that I don't like the results or a natural hair Nazi against straightening (I actually like my hair straight. Yes, I said it. Lol)But I dislike how long a typical straightening of mine last (which is about a week, depending on the humidity), how long it takes to straighten it (which is over an hour) and the fact I can't style straight hair to save my life (which is reason why I went natural.) Well despite these three major issues I loved the few times I've had my hair straightened and enjoy those couple of weeks to the fullest. Now the above picture went viral on Facebook a couple of months ago and quite a few women asked questions so I'll take this time out to answer the Top 7 questions that are usually asked when I have straight hair.
1. What do you do? Well I do not straighten it myself, that's a no-no. I prefer to let a professional handle my hair so I can get the best results. There's no way I can get my hair to look like that. I suggest that naturals go to a salon to get their hair straighten, if they're not sure how to get the results they want to achieve.
2. What salon do you go too? I am a student at FAMU so I go to the salon on campus. It's called the Rattler's Edge. If you are in the Tallahassee, FL area you can pay them a visit. I've never had a bad experience with them.
3. What type of flat iron was used? A Chi. Sorry I don't know the brand.
4. How long have you been natural? My last relaxer was February 2011, I big chopped September 2011. So transitioned about seven months and I've been natural for two years.
5. How often do you trim? Not like I should. Lol. Since I've been natural I've trimmed my hair a total of three times and that was whenever I got it straightened. I DO NOT recommend that, because I usually have an inch of hair taken off.
6. What's your hair type? I honestly don't know. If I had to guess I'll say majority 4B. My hair is the front is of a looser curl pattern but yet it's still pretty coarse.
7. How do you make your hair grow? I really have no answer to this. I can tell you I do not take any supplements, vitamins included. My diet is OK, I eat sweets way too much. Lol. For the first couple of years I was natural I didn't wear my hair out. It was usually in twists, nowadays I wear my hair out more.
This is a photo from my third straightening. Which was April 2014.
Side view of my results.
Front View of my results.